The switch-on of the lights took place on Saturday November 27th at 4.30pm.
After a year without a real-life celebration we enjoyed all the usual attractions including:
- Mulled wine, mince pies and hot-dogs
- Kids’ entertainment by Woodcraft Folk
- Santa Claus Grotto (sponsored by Edwards News)
- Carousel and Christmas novelties
- Artisan food and gift stalls
- Street food from our local businesses
- Grand Christmas Raffle, (including £300 Bogan’s Carpet voucher)
- Salvation Army Christmas Carols
- Children’s choirs from local schools, St Joseph’s, Woodchurch Rd and The Luminelles
- The famous Rock Choir
This year we extended the lights with new lamp post decorations along Claughton Firs and also lit up of the new Willows development. A giant Christmas Tree which has been generously donated by the Ewer Roberts flower shop.
Income from all our activities does not cover the costs of the new lights and the full costs of putting on the event. The road closure alone will cost £850, and we are seeing increases in our electrical contractor’s fees and also in the carousel hire. The shortfall is usually met with profit from Secret Gardens, but sadly, Secret Gardens was a virtual event this year, bringing in no income for Christmas lights. So, again, this year we are asking if you will please consider making a donation to help pay for this event. Our target is to raise £3000.